Carbon Reduction Commitment (CRC)
The Carbon Reduction Commitment – Energy Efficiency Scheme (CRC) was introduced in 2010 and was the first piece of compulsory UK legislation to address energy use amongst medium to large non-energy intensive organisations. It aims to reduce CO2 emissions from these types of organisations by at least 4 million tonnes by 2020.
Who is affected?
Phase 2 occurs between 2014-2019 and affects organisations if they:
had one or more half hourly electricity meters in the UK between 1 April 2012 - 31 March 2013
used at least 6,000MWh of electricity (including parent companies and subsidiaries) through half-hourly meters between 1 April 2012 - 31 March 2013
Companies affected by Phase 2 should have registered with
the CRC Registry by 31 January 2014.
Important note: The Government has announced that the CRC will be abolished in 2019. Companies affected by Phase 2 must continue to implement the requirements of the CRC up to and including the 2018 - 2019 compliance year.
What you need to do
If you met the qualification criteria then you should have registered with the
CRC registry by the 31 January 2014.
Companies affected need to:
- prepare and submit an annual report of their energy supplies
- order carbon allowances to offset level of CO2 emissions
- create and maintain a detailed
- purchase and surrender carbon
allowances to offset their level of emissions
Organisations that fail to register could be prosecuted. Fines for full participants start at £5,000 and increase depending on the severity of the offence.
How Valpak can help
We can take away the administrative burden of the CRC and ensure that all of your necessary registration and submission requirements are met. Some of the ways in which we can help include:
- assessing whether you needed to register for Phase 2.
If you should have registered with the CRC Registry for Phase 2 but have not
done so we can offer assistance
- full compliance service:
- collection of energy supplies data
- preparation and submission of annual reports
- creation and maintenance of your evidence pack
- order, purchase and surrender of carbon allowances
- attendance at Environment Agency audits
- audit service to ensure the data you have collated is accurate
- stand alone audit service
to ensure the data you have collated is accurate
To find out more about our CRC compliance service call us today on 03450
682 572 or complete our